Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Dark Tower Ode


Martin Luther King Holiday and I started to Read the first book in the Dark Tower Series' The Gun Slinger Masterful to me. King's ability to set the mood with pictures. Spanning the dimensions. He writes at a clip that draws into my day even when I am not reading it. Is it an appropriate book for Martin Luther King Day? I have a feeling it is. I was prompted to read it because of Jon Stewart's interview with Ron Howard. Howard is working on a 'Dark Tower' movie. I want to read the series before the movie comes out and since this seems to be my own private blog, I will take some notes taken from the book.
I can't tell anyone, especially my mother, that I really would rather write than anything else, or be a body guard. I think I would make an awesome sentinel. But my own editor within, which is actually a bloody and wounded mass of scar tissue, won't let me tell anyone what or who I actually feel that I am, deep within my soul The fires of the brutal past still haunt me.

Yesterday, I went up to the Tibetan Retreat Center, wearing my most beautiful shirt. The one of black almost purple velvet, with a sparkles in large pazelly (how can such a stupid speller even think of becoming a writer?- the voice, the critic asks) Tears. My leg fell to sleep and I could only stay in the center of my head for a second before I would dash off to the rest of the room, like a butterfly, missing the pistil of the flower. Wearing my most beautiful shirt was an effort. Because I have always felt the need to mute my beauty. "Don't show off!" "Who do you think you Are?" It was an act of courage to wear my most beautiful shirt. As I age, I realize how we mute each other. We are all beautiful in unseen ways.

I also stepped out to Saint David's for an hour of Baroque music. I realize that I would rather listen to Baroque laying in a field of grass than in a chair, trying to behave myself. I felt unsocial and left at the beginning of intermission.