Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Dad to me was the most handsome man that I have met. Tall for then, 6'4". A graduate of the Naval Academy. Gentle Goldwater Republican. I remember the Goldwater Rally from my dad's shoulders.. Red white blue and gold. Streamers, hats balloons and signs, singing too. It was fun Energy. My dad had an ulcer and was in chronic pain when I was a child and went to the hospital for a simple operation to repair his stomach and got staph infection, nearly died and stayed in the hospital all summer, through my birthday. My worst birthday. for other reasons. I remember, we, his children, couldn't visit him, back then, so they would wheel him out to a balcony and he would wave. skinny and try to hold back his tears. His parents were alcoholics.. My Grandma Nora, deep and mystical and incredibly sad especially after my dad died- her only child. My dad's father died when he was eighteen. He found him dead in his car on an early school morning.



I did know my Grandpa Les. My Mom's dad. I feel like I am opening a portal of sadness. Do I want to? Already done did it. He would pay us to remember scripture. He was Christian Scientist and a Freemason. My Grandmother Helen was Daughter of the Eastern Star. My Grandma Nora had studied Christian Science and Science of Mind. My mom and dad took us to Christian Science Church out of guilt. Mom would whisper, "Don't tell Grandma that you went to the doctor. We went to Christian Science Church until I was nine or ten then we found the Congregational Church. Dale Turner saw us through the ravages of death with little to much advise. As in all history I will edit my folly(s) at this time.
Christian Science is in my hard-wired belief system.